Here is my list of 50 Top Excel Tips
1. Select the Entire worksheet – CTRL A or click the upper left box between the A and 1.
2. Get Rid of Gridlines – Go to View on the Toolbar—then uncheck the Gridlines box
3. How to Add Commands to the Ribbon – Go to File —Options—-Customize Ribbon
4. How to change How often Excel Auto Saves your Document – Go to File —Options—-Save then change the minutes for Saving the AutoRecovery
5. How to Add items to Top Toolbar – Go to File —Options—-Quick Access Toolbar From there you choose items on the left and Add to the right.
6. Shortcut to Show Formulas instead of Results – Ctlr ‘
7. How to Hide Current Column – Hilight column and press Ctrl 0
8. How to Hide Current Row – Hilight Row and press Ctrl 9
9. How to Change a Sheet name – Double click on the sheet and then type it in
10. How to Hide a Worksheet – Right click on the sheet and go to Hide
11. How to Copy the Result and not the Formula – Hilight the cells, right click and go to Copy. Go to where you want it and Right click and go to Paste Special and then to Value.
12. How to See the Sum of numbers without using a formula – Hilight the cells and go to the lower right of Excel which is the Status Bar and you will see the Sum. You can then customize that by right clicking it.
13. How to Quick Copy cells – Hilight what you want copied and put your cursor in the lower right of the bottom cell and drag it
14. How to Insert a Hyperlink into a Cell – Right click on the cell and go to Hyperlink and then enter it in
15. How to Protect a Worksheet – Go to Review—Protect Sheet then enter a password
16. How to Sort from Left to Right – Hilight the cells and go to Data—Sort. Then click Options and click the box for Left to Right
17. How to Select the Print Area – Hilight what you want printed, then go to Page Layout—Print Area—Set Print Area
18. How to Repeat Rows when Printing Page Layout—-Print Titles—-Sheet—Rows to Repeat at Top Enter your rows by highlighting them
19. How to Have the Page Number at the bottom of each page Page Layout—Print Titles—Header/Footer Then select the drop down under Footer
20. How to Send an Excel File right from Excel – go to File—Save & Send—Send as Attachment It will then open up an email with the Excel file as an attachment
21. How to Save an Excel file as a PDF – Go to File—-Save As— Click the dropdown next to Save as Type and go down to PDF
22. How to Right Click from your Keyboard – Shift F10
23. How to Copy cells that are on Top of eachother and make them next to Eachother – Hilight the cells and Edit—Copy. Then go to where you want to paste them. Right click and go to Paste Special and then check Transpose.
24. How to make a Budget Worksheet – Go to File—-New— then instead of Blank worksheet, below it are a list of templates all ready for you to choose. Click Budgets
25. How to Freeze the Top Row – View—-Freeze Panes—-Freeze Top Row
26. How to Gradually Increase the Font Size – From the Home Tab click the A’ to the right of the Font Size. It will increase it by one size.
27. How to Format Cells based on their Value – Go to Home—Conditional Formatting—Hilight Cell Rules—-Greater Than Then you can pick how you want cells formatted greater than a number you choose.
28. How to Hilight Duplicate Values in a Range – Hilight the Range then go to Home—Conditional Formatting—Hilight Cell Rules—Duplicate Values . Then you can pick what color to highlight them.
29. How to Remove Duplicates – Hilight the range and go to Data—Remove Duplicates
30. How to Pull in External Data through an RSS feed – Go to Data—From Other Sources—From XML Data Import and then enter the RSS feed into the File Name.
31. How to Quickly insert a Chart – Put your cursor on the table and press F11.
32. How to Insert a Screenshot into Excel – go to Insert—Screenshot—Screen Clipping It will take you to your other programs where you can drag the box over the item you want copied as a screenshot
33. How to Quickly Save As – Alt F2
34. How to Combine Cells – =cell_reference1 & cell_reference2 & cell_reference3 Use the & sign to combine cells into one The result of this is ExcelbyJoe in cell D2.
35. How to Quickly adjust the Width off All columns – Hilight all cells by pressing the upper left box next to the A. Then double click in between any two letters.
36. How to Quickly insert a Function – Click the Fx to the left of the Formula bar
37. How to Get a random number between 2 numbers – =RANDBETWEEN(1,100) or whatever number range you want
38. How to get Rid of Unwanted Spaces =TRIM(cell reference)
39. How to find the Largest Number in a Range of numbers =MAX(range of cells)
40. How to Repeatedly get a new Random Number – Enter the formula =RANDBETWEEN(1,100) in a cell. Then in any other cell press Delete key and it will pick a new random number.
41. How to have the Current Date in cell =Today()
42. How to get the Absolute Value of a number =ABS(cell_reference)
43. How to Round a number to a specified number of Decimal Places – Insert a function next to it and use =ROUND(cell_reference,number of decimals) ex) =ROUND(b3,2)
44. How to tell What day it will be in 7 Days – =TODAY() + 7
45. How to Pull a Number of Characters from a cell – Use the RIGHT function to pull a certain number of characters from the right side of a cell ex: =RIGHT(b1,5) will pull the right 5 characters from cell B1
46. How to Convert all characters to Upper Case – =UPPER(cell_reference) This will convert “Excel by Joe” to “EXCEL BY JOE”
47. How to get to the VBA code of your Worksheet – Developer—View Code If you do not have Developer on your Ribbon, add it through the File—Options.
48. How to Assign a Macro to a Shape – First Insert the Shape by going to Insert—-Shapes—pick your shape. Then right click on the shape and drop to Assign Macro and choose your Macro.
49. How to Add a Message box – Go to your macro (View—Macros—Edit Macro) you want it in and enter Msgbox “your text” in your Visual Basic editor
50. How to not show a Macro Updating as it runs – Enter this code into the beginning of the macro in the VB editor. Application.Screenupdating = False